Last Updated: August 31, 2015
This Policy describes the information that we gather from or about you, how we use and disclose such information, and the steps we take to protect such information. By using the Service, you consent to the privacy practices described in this Policy, which is incorporated into and is subject to the Host Committee Terms of Service.
Information We Collect on the Service
We may collect various information about you, including the following:
- User-provided Information. When you use the Service, we may collect information about you, including your name, contact information, geographic area, or preferences and we may link this information with other information about you. You may provide us with and we may collect information in various ways on the Service. For example, you provide us with information when you register for an account, use the Service, sign up for our newsletter, volunteer with the Host Committee, sign up for a contest or promotion on the Service, connect with the Service using a third party service (such as Facebook), or send us customer service-related requests.
- Cookies and Automatically Collected Information. When you use the Service, we may send one or more cookies – small text files containing a string of alphanumeric characters – to your device. We may also automatically record certain information from your device by using various types of technology, including “clear gifs” or “web beacons.” This automatically collected information may include your IP address or other device address or ID, web browser and/or device type, the web pages or sites that you visit just before or just after you use the Service, the pages or other content you view or otherwise interact with on the Service, and the dates and times that you visit, access, or use the Service. We also may use these technologies to collect information regarding your interaction with email messages, such as whether you opened, clicked on, or forwarded a message. This information is gathered from all users, and may be connected with other information about you.
- Location Information. We may obtain information about your physical location, such as by use of GPS and other geolocation features in your device, or by inference from other information we collect (for example, your IP address indicates the general geographic region from which you are connecting to the Internet). We generally collect this information for use with promotions and other features of the Service.
- Information from Other Sources. We may obtain information from third parties and other sources outside of the Service.
How We Use the Information We Collect
We use information we collect on the Service in a variety of ways in providing the Service and operating our business, including the following:
- We use the information that we collect on the Service or from other sources to operate, maintain, enhance and provide all features of the Service, to provide services and information that you request, to respond to comments and questions and otherwise to provide support to users, and to process and deliver entries and rewards in connection with promotions that may be offered from time to time on the Service.
- We use the information that we collect on the Service to understand and analyze the usage trends and preferences of our users, to improve the Service, and to develop new products, services, features, and functionalities.
- We may use your email address or other information we collect or that you may provide to contact you for administrative purposes such as customer service or to send communications, including updates on promotions and events, relating to products and services offered by us and by third parties we work with.
When We Disclose Information
Except as described in this Policy, we will not disclose your information that we collect on the Service to third parties without your consent. We may disclose information to third parties if you consent to us doing so, as well as in the following circumstances:
- Any information that you voluntarily choose to include in a publicly accessible area of the Service, such as on the Countdown Clock or forums, will be available to anyone who has access to that content, including other users.
- We work with third party service providers to provide website, application development, hosting, maintenance, and other services for us. These third parties may have access to or process your information as part of providing those services for us. Generally, we limit the information provided to these service providers to that which is reasonably necessary for them to perform their functions, and we require them to agree to maintain the confidentiality of such information.
- We may disclose your information if required to do so by law or in the good-faith belief that such action is necessary to comply with state and federal laws (such as U.S. copyright law), in response to a court order, judicial or other government subpoena or warrant, or to otherwise cooperate with law enforcement or other governmental agencies.
- We also reserve the right to disclose your information that we believe, in good faith, is appropriate or necessary to (i) take precautions against liability, (ii) protect ourselves or others from fraudulent, abusive, or unlawful uses or activity, (iii) investigate and defend ourselves against any third-party claims or allegations, (iv) protect the security or integrity of the Service and any facilities or equipment used to make the Service available, or (v) protect our property or other legal rights (including, but not limited to, enforcement of our agreements), or the rights, property, or safety of others.
- Information about our users may be disclosed and otherwise transferred to an acquirer, successor, or assignee as part of any merger, acquisition, debt financing, sale of assets, or other transaction or proceeding in which information is transferred to one or more third parties as one of our business assets.
- We may make certain aggregated, automatically-collected, or otherwise non-personal information available to third parties for various purposes, including (i) compliance with various reporting obligations; (ii) for business or marketing purposes; or (iii) to assist such parties in understanding our users’ interests, habits, and usage patterns for certain programs, content, services, promotions, and/or functionality available through the Service.
- We may also disclose your information in manners that may be described to you in a notice to you at the time the information is collected.
You may decline to share certain information with us, in which case we may not be able to provide to you some of the features and functionality of the Service. If you wish to access or amend information we hold about you, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that we may retain all information you submit for backups, archiving, prevention of fraud and abuse, analytics, satisfaction of legal obligations, or where we otherwise reasonably believe that we have a legitimate reason to do so.
If you receive commercial email from us, you may unsubscribe at any time by following the instructions contained within the email. You may also opt out from receiving commercial email from us by sending your request to us by email at email@example.com or by writing to us at the address given at the end of this policy. Please be aware that if you opt out of receiving commercial email from us or otherwise modify the nature or frequency of promotional communications you receive from us, it may take up to ten business days for us to process your request, and you may continue receiving promotional communications from us during that period. Additionally, even after you opt out from receiving commercial messages from us, you may continue to receive administrative messages from us regarding the Service.
We use Google Analytics to collect and process certain analytics data. Google may provide additional privacy options at www.google.com/policies/privacy/partners/. We also use RadiumOne to collect and process certain analytics data. RadiumOne may provide additional privacy options at http://radiumone.com/privacy/. Because no standard for “do not track” signals exists at this point in time, we do not specifically respond to “do not track” signals.
The Service may contain features or links to third party websites and services. Any information you provide on third-party sites or services is provided directly to the operators of such services and is subject to those operators’ policies, if any, governing privacy and security, even if accessed through the Service. We are not responsible for the content or privacy and security practices and policies of third-party sites or services to which links or access are provided through the Service.
Protecting the privacy of young children is especially important. Our Service is intended for general audiences and is not directed to children under the age of 13. We do not knowingly collect personal information from children under the age of 13 without obtaining parental consent.
We use certain safeguards that are designed to improve the integrity and security of information that we collect and maintain. Please be aware that no security measures are perfect or impenetrable. We cannot and do not guarantee that your information will not be accessed, viewed, disclosed, altered, or destroyed by breach of any of these safeguards.
The Service is hosted in the United States and is intended for visitors located within the United States. If you choose to use the Service from the European Union or another jurisdiction with laws governing data collection and use that may differ from U.S. law, then please note that you are transferring your personal information outside of those regions to the United States for storage and processing. Also, we may transfer your data from the U.S. to other countries or regions in connection with storage and processing of data, fulfilling your requests, and operating the Service. By providing any information, including personal information, on or to the Service, you consent to such transfer, storage, and processing.
Changes and Updates to this Policy
Please revisit this page periodically to stay aware of any changes to this Policy, which we may update from time to time. If we modify this Policy, we will make it available through the Service, and indicate the date of the latest revision. In the event that the modifications materially alter your rights or obligations hereunder, we will make reasonable efforts to notify you of the change. Your continued use of the Service after the revised Policy has become effective indicates that you have read, understood and agreed to the current version of this Policy.
Your California Privacy Rights
Residents of California may request a disclosure describing what types of personal information we have shared with third parties for their direct marketing purposes, and with whom we have shared it, during the preceding calendar year. You may request a copy of that disclosure by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our Contact Information
Please contact us with any questions or comments about this Policy, your information, our use and disclosure practices, or your consent choices by email at email@example.com.
SF SB Committee Inc.
825 Battery St., Third Floor
San Francisco, CA 94111