Bay Area in the News
- Chevron celebrates its 125th anniversary.
- Google goes public.
- The United States National Park Service adds Golden Gate Park to the National Register of Historic Places.
- Mayor Gavin Newsom approves the issue of same-sex marriage licenses to couples in the city of San Francisco. In just one month, an estimated 4,000 licenses were issued before the California Supreme Court stopped the marriages and ruled that the nuptials were invalid.
- The American Public Transportation Association awards BART with the APTA Outstanding Public Transportation System Award.
Bay Area Sports
- The Albany Attack of the National Lacrosse League move west to become the San Jose Stealth.
- After riding a 151-game win streak, the De La Salle High School football team of Concord records their first loss since 1991 after falling to Bellevue High School.
- The San Francisco Freedom of the United States Pro Cricket League play their first and only season at Kezar Stadium. The Freedom would capture the league’s inaugural Pro Cricket championship.