Bay Area Firsts
- Apple releases their digital media library iTunes as well as the very first iPod. The product is quickly labeled, “the Walkman of the early 21st-century.”
- Crissy Field Park opens in the Presidio after being transformed from an old military airfield.
Bay Area Sports
- San Francisco Giant’s left fielder Barry Bonds sets the Major league record for most home runs in a single season with 73. Bonds also wins the National League MVP award as well as the Associated Press Male Athlete of the Year this season.
- The San Francisco Demons of the XFL open up their first and only season at Pacific Bell Park. The Demons finish 2nd in their division and lose in the Championship to the Los Angeles Xtreme.
- The San Jose CyberRays of the Women’s United Soccer Association begin play at Spartan Stadium. The team would only play three seasons before the folding along with the league.