Bay Area Sports
- The San Francisco 49ers defeat the San Diego Chargers to capture their fifth Super Bowl Championship; a record at the time for most titles by any franchise in the NFL.
- The Los Angeles Raiders move back to the Coliseum to once again become the Oakland Raiders. The addition of 10,000 seats to the stadium welcomes the team back to the East Bay.
- The San Jose SaberCats of the Arena Football League play their first game at the San Jose Arena.
- The San Francisco Spiders of the International Hockey League play their first, and only, season at the Cow Palace.
Bay Area Firsts
- The World of Car Characters ad campaign makes its television debut using animated cars to praise and point out the benefits of Chevron with Techron. In 15 years Chevron would develop 79 different versions and sell over 18 million of the toy cars to kids and adults across the US.
- Pixar product Toy Story hits the big screen and the movie’s success allows the company to build a new studio in Emeryville.
- San Francisco newcomer Craig Newmark launches Craigslist as a way to generate interest of social events in the area.
- AuctionWeb (which later becomes eBay) is founded in San Jose.