1982 Bay Area’s Football Best
- Dwight Clark makes “The Catch” as the San Francisco 49ers defeat the Dallas Cowboys 28-27 in the NFC Championship game at Candlestick Park. The 49ers would go on to defeat the Cincinnati Bengals in Super Bowl XVI for their first title in franchise history.
- “The Play” unfolds in the 85th Big Game between Cal and Stanford as the Golden Bears run back a last second kickoff 57 yards to the end zone amidst the Stanford Band inadvertently coming onto the field mid-play. Cal ends up winning the game 20-19.
1982 Bay Area Firsts
- The inaugural Gay Games takes place in San Francisco with Boxer Stadium serving as the main venue.
- Adobe Systems Inc. is founded and named after Adobe Creek in Los Altos.
- Autodesk is founded by 13 programmers in John Walker’s Mill Valley home.
- Gary Hendrix founds Symantec in Sunnyvale and hires a group of Stanford alums as the company’s first employees.