Super Bowl XLVI
Bay Area Sports
- San Francisco Giants win their 2nd World Series in three years after sweeping the Detroit Tigers in four games.
- Levi’s Stadium breaks ground in Santa Clara.
- The Dakota Wizards of the NBA Development League head west to become the Santa Cruz Warriors.
- San Francisco Giants pitcher Matt Cain throws the first perfect game in franchise history at AT&T Park.
- California Memorial Stadium reopens after a $321 million renovation to improve the facility and make the venue more seismically safe.
- Stanford’s Andrew Luck is selected first overall by the Indianapolis Colts in the NFL Draft, becoming the fourth Cardinal to be selected first overall all-time.
Bay Area Bests
- The San Francisco Municipal Railway (Muni) celebrates 100 years of being in operation.
- The Golden Gate Bridge celebrates is 75th birthday with help from local businesses such as Chevron, Genentech, Levi Strauss & Co. and Odwalla.
Golden Moment: To help promote the 1939 Golden Gate International Exposition on San Francisco Bay, Chevron produced this large billboard poster for display at more than 350 service stations throughout their marketing area. The poster’s theme – “Well worth visiting!” – applied to both Treasure Island, site of the exposition, and to the company’s service stations. Chevron has a long history of support for the Golden Gate Bridge, extending from its promotional efforts during the bridge’s construction in the 1930s to its corporate sponsorship of the Golden Gate Bridge 75th Anniversary in 2012.