Bay Area Sports
- The San Francisco Giants win their first World Series since 1954 and their first title since relocating west from New York.
- The Golden State Warriors are sold for a record $450 million to venture capitalist Joe Lacob and Peter Guber of Mandalay Entertainment.
Bay Area Bests
- Emeryville-product Pixar releases their highest grossing film to date, Toy Story 3, which brings in $1.063 billion.
- Uber is launched for the first time in San Francisco.
- Apple unveils the iPad and the device hits stores during the spring.