1980 Bay Area in the News
- President of Levi Strauss & Co. Walter A. Hass buys the Oakland A’s from owner Charles Finley for $12.7 million, a move which keeps the franchise from moving to Denver.
- Father-son duo Maxie and Kris Anderson depart from Fort Baker in Sausalito to make the first non-stop transcontinental balloon crossing. The Andersons and their helium-filled balloon land in Quebec four days after liftoff.
1980 Bay Area Firsts
- The ABC TV show “Dynasty” begins filming their pilot episode at the Filoli Mansion in Woodside.
- Hewlett-Packard introduces the HP-85, the company’s first personal computer.
- Odwalla Inc. is founded in Santa Cruz.