1976 Bay Area Beginnings
- Steve Jobs, Steve Wozniak and Ronald Wayne found Apple Computers in the garage of Jobs’ parents in Los Altos.
- Biochemist Herbert Boyer and venture capitalist Robert Swanson found Genetech in South San Francisco.
1976 Bay Area in the News
- San Francisco’s Steve Miller Brand releases their ninth album, Fly Like an Eagle, which Rolling Stone Magazine would later rank as one of the top 500 albums of all time.
- A judge approves the sales of the San Francisco Giants to Bob Lurie from owner Horace Stoneham, who wanted to sell the club to a Canadian Brewery and move the team to Toronto
- The Bay Area receives an unofficial 5″ of snowfall, the largest amount reported in the area since 1887 when the City of San Francisco saw 7″ of snow.