1972 Bay Area Beginnings
- Construction was completed on the Transamerica Pyramid, which at 853 feet (260 meters) stands as Northern California’s tallest building.
- BART began service on September 11, with more than 100,000 passengers in its first five days.
- Chuck Williams started his catalog in support of his retail shop, Williams-Sonoma.
1972 Bay Area’s Best
- The Oakland Athletics‘ seven-game victory over the heavily favored Cincinnati Reds gave the team its first World Series Championship since 1930.
- The famed Streets of San Francisco television program begins its run, featuring Karl Malden as a veteran detective and a 28-year old Michael Douglas as his inexperienced new partner working in the San Francisco police department.